78 replies to this topic
  • Please log in to reply

#1 skiracing

skiracing

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 04:13 PM

What do you think about Lindsey Vonn's request to race the men at Lake Louise?

#2 Guest_Omaz_*

Guest_Omaz_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2012 - 04:20 PM

It's very American but rather feministic!

#3 Guest_Kata_*

Guest_Kata_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2012 - 04:20 PM

why not? she can obviously ski pretty well, and dont think that that extra bodypart adds much to a ski race afterall... :-)

#4 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2012 - 04:21 PM

great..thumbs up! :)

#5 Guest_Kata_*

Guest_Kata_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2012 - 04:25 PM

besides Sarah Burke did that too, and she was pretty awsome...

#6 Guest_Adam Schneible_*

Guest_Adam Schneible_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2012 - 04:28 PM

It would be awesome!  That's why the FIS will never allow it.

#7 Guest_ajb_*

Guest_ajb_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2012 - 04:29 PM

don't see why not, its not ski cross or roller derby. I can see if they feel she will have an advantage racing on the same hill with the women

#8 Guest_obstsalat_*

Guest_obstsalat_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2012 - 04:53 PM

Why not, she's skiing on men's ski, she also trains with the men, just check out the training videos where she is equally fast as Aksel Lund Svindal. She probably wouldn't win the race, but I'd totally love to see her kicking someone's ass. If the FIS don't allow it, then they're probably too afraid of Lindsey

#9 Guest_Christian Avery_*

Guest_Christian Avery_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:11 PM

I think it's just another publicity stunt for Lindsey. If FIS were to allow her to race it  seems likely they would say that she then can't race in the women's DH which for her would be -100 points in her mission to break the 2000 point mark in the season. Other than letting the public see where she stands against the men which she herself probably already knows to some degree this seems like a totally self serving stunt and one that will only hurt women's skiing. By making an exception for her FIS would have to allow any woman that wanted to to race a men's World Cup to do so and then the already crowded start list would become unbearably long. Which brings up another important point. Where would they start her? Since women's points by no means convert to men's points. It wouldn't be far to stick her in with the top men's downhillers who's results are frequently affected by how many people go before them and how the course holds up to them.
I think if Lindsey truly has her heart set on this publicty stunt and racing with the "boys" she shoul be allowed to forerunn the race with the announcers and her closely paying attention to her time. She will be able to see where she stacks up but also not be anykind of "special case" that FIS would have to make an exception for.

#10 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:46 PM

she would even make top 30, and anywhere other than lake louise she would come almost dead last

#11 Guest_Mkg_*

Guest_Mkg_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:47 PM

Lindsey should be allowed to race the men's dh if she agrees to pass on the women's dh inorder to adhere to fis rules

#12 S-Meyr

S-Meyr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationID & FL

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:57 PM

View PostChristian Avery, on 07 October 2012 - 05:11 PM, said:

I think it's just another publicity stunt for Lindsey. If FIS were to allow her to race it  seems likely they would say that she then can't race in the women's DH which for her would be -100 points in her mission to break the 2000 point mark in the season. Other than letting the public see where she stands against the men which she herself probably already knows to some degree this seems like a totally self serving stunt and one that will only hurt women's skiing. By making an exception for her FIS would have to allow any woman that wanted to to race a men's World Cup to do so and then the already crowded start list would become unbearably long. Which brings up another important point. Where would they start her? Since women's points by no means convert to men's points. It wouldn't be far to stick her in with the top men's downhillers who's results are frequently affected by how many people go before them and how the course holds up to them.
I think if Lindsey truly has her heart set on this publicity stunt and racing with the "boys" she should be allowed to fore-run the race with the announcers and her closely paying attention to her time. She will be able to see where she stacks up but also not be any kind of "special case" that FIS would have to make an exception for.
I agree completely!

#13 Guest_guessWho_*

Guest_guessWho_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:02 PM

yes, let her go with the men! will see how many guys will get embarrased ;D
I think if women wants to complete with guys, let them.

#14 Guest_mfG_*

Guest_mfG_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:35 PM

I also think she should be kind of like a fore runner or something, like Marlies Schild did in the men's slalom. And it doesn't matter if it's only a publicity stunt or not, because the whole world cup will attract more viewers in general and that's always good thing.

#15 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:15 PM

if she wants to increase the publicity for women's skiing, she should just ski in a bikini. I think that announcement would instantly gain more mass media attention.

#16 Guest_Nick_*

Guest_Nick_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:23 PM

She should not race with the men. Who knows FIS is already good at making bad decisions so it will probably happen.

#17 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:05 AM

Maybe she is really a man.  Or just plain arrogant.

#18 Guest_skier_*

Guest_skier_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:00 PM

If she wants to "enhance the image of womens skiing" she should pose for Playboy

#19 Guest_Daron Rahlves_*

Guest_Daron Rahlves_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:04 PM

Vonn owns the Lake Louise women's DH and it must be boring for her with the lack of competition.  I heard Picabo Street wanted to race Kitzbuhel DH once.  Give them a shot.  Talking about it just stirs up all this hype.  What other girl would want to do this and who actually deserves it? Vonn deserves it by proving she's a step above her own competition.  She can be placed at the back end of the 400+ club in the 30's.  Forego the women's race and see what she has in the mens rougher, faster, longer and easiest DH race on the circuit.

#20 Guest_walla walla_*

Guest_walla walla_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:51 PM

Several years ago Resi Stiegler foreran the Birds of Prey men's Super G World Cup.  A Vail Assoc. executive blew a gasket and exclaimed that it emasculated the course.  Resi skied it with great courage, speed and skill--and the crowd loved it!!  Let Lindsey race!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Lindsey Vonn, FIS, World Cup, Alpine Racing, Ski Racing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users